Saturday 10 January 2009

Library Loot & Charity Finds

For those of you who haven't read about it, I was determined to support my local library this year. We have quite a few near us, and I love to go in and find books I would not normally read. So I have joined the challenge to read 12 books from the library this year.
Yesterday, I came across an event hosted by Eva and Alessandra over at 'A Striped Armchair', which allows you to share your finds from the library. If you click on the picture, it will take you to the site and allow you to see what other people have taken out from the library.


I took my girls today and here is what I picked up to read this week.


The Bailey Game - Celia Rees. This is a YA book which I thought would be good to read to add to my YA challenge. Last year I read two of her books (Witchchild and Ghost Chamber) which I really enjoyed.

The Shamers Daughter - Lene Kaaberbol. Another YA book about a person with a look that will cause untol damage.

The Noodle Maker - by Mia Jian. The cover caught me on this one and any thing that talks about food always grabs my attention. These are quite thin books, so I don't think it will take me long to read them.

I also ventured into the charity shop as I just can't resist a bargain. I picked up the two books pictured below.
I have always wanted to read 'The Hours' by Michael Cunningham. I have never seen the film, but I remember when it won lots of Oscars, so I imagine it to be good read. The Tea House on Mulberry Street, is a book I have been after for awhile. Sharon Owens is an Irish writer who writes feel good books. I read 'The Tavern at Maple Street' over Christmas and found it really enjoyable, a light story with warm characters set over the Christmas period.
I will give reviews as I read them. Off to finish a nice glass of wine and watch a family favourite 'Nanny McPhee.
I am rounding my pictures a day, up into a weekly bundle to show on here later this week.
Bye for now.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my post about The House at Riverton. I am so excited about Kate Morton's new book - but it's not available here in the US yet. This summer, I think. I added it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read more Celia Rees-I loved her Pirates! book last year. :D That cover of The Noodle Maker would catch me eye too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a public librarian in the U.S., I can't thank you enough for using your local library. Right now, with the economy, we need support. Your physical presence indicates support for libraries, when so many are closing or cutting back, due to the economy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wanted to read The Hours for a while too. I loved the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look interesting. I have a copy of the Hours waiting on my shelves, I should get to it I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I hope you find yourself reading more than 12 books from the library! Look forward to reading more! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for stopping by, it is always nice to hear what you have to say, so do leave a comment if you have time.