Monday 12 October 2009

Monday Mailbox

I have been a bad girl. I think I may have been suffering from book buying withdrawal symptoms and the urge to trawl around charity took over. As you can see, my trawling was very successful. I picked up six books.

1) The first book is my first Persephone book, so I am really excited as I have heard such good things about this publisher. They reprint neglected classics by C20th (mostly women) writers. This one is called 'The Children Who Lived in a Barn' by Eleanor Graham. The book's preface is written by Jacqueline Wilson.

2) The Children of Charlecote by Phillipa Pearce (Tom's Midnight Garden) and Brian Fairfax-Lucy. I remember reading this about ten years ago and loving it. Phillipa Pearce took the memoirs of Brian Fairfax-Lucy and made it into a fictional book.

3) The Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani. I have never read any of this author's books, yet I have heard such fantastic reviews of her books, so I thought I would try reading one.

4) Daughter of Fortune by Isabelle Allende - another book I have read rave reviews about.

5) The Famished Road by Ben Okri. This has recently been re released with lots of other Booker Prize winners.

6) Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery - this is the second Anne book in the series. I now only have to find three more books. Yippee!

Now these are not books I have purchased, but two that I have been lent by a friend.
1) Sleep, Pale Sister by Joanne Harris. At the beginning of the year I read quite a lot of Joanne Harris, so I am pleased to get my hands on some more. My friend said she thought this one would be ideal for me, as it scared the life out of her. It has Gothic overtones, so it is ideal for the RIP challenge.
2)Moscow Rules by Daniel Silva - my friend is always on the look out for new authors to try. She really enjoyed this book and offered to lend it to me to read.
So there are the books that entered my household this week? What books did you get?

21 comments:

  1. I want the Ben Okri one! Great buys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely books. I recently read Big Stone Gap and I loved it. Hope you like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome mailbox :D
    I do love bookshopping

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh you are naughty! The Famished Road is a brilliant read though at first a little difficult to get into, just stay with it, I think you'll find it's well worth it. Can't wait for the review of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your first Persephone title! I hope you enjoy it; it's not one I've read yet.

    I adore the Anne books.

    I'm hoping to read The Famished Road some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trigiani is a fabulous writer although Big Stone Gap is one of the ones I liked the least. If you get a chance, read Lucia, Lucia or Very Valentine. Those two are so good.

    Have a great week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I'd not heard of that Joanne Harris one! That's going on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, delicious! Like your blog! LOL

    I loved "Anne of Green Gables" and will have to start collecting more of those...I have the first one. I started collecting Nancy Drews, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of your books look great. I recently re-read Anne of Green Gable. Anne of Avonlea is on my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your book finds look great! The only one on your list that I have read is the Anne book. I have heard of some of the other authors though, and will be curious to see what your opinion of their books is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I need to read Portrait in Sepia again. I loved it back when I read it. And I haven't read that Daniel Silva book but I have read a couple others and really enjoy them. Great bunch of books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are in for such a treat with Big Stone Gap - I envy you getting to read it for the very fist time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's been SO long since I read the Anne books! I may just have to re-read them one day... Hope you enjoy your books!

    Thanks for visiting my mailbox post :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My goodness you did pick up quite a few books. lol. Enjoy! I haven't read any of them but do have Daughter of Fortune on my shelf somewhere and I really want to get back to the Anne series.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The used books look in terrific condition. I have Sleep, Pale Sister too (same cover as well). It has great ratings. Need to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. yay, your first Persephone! I've read a few of their books and have not been disappointed by any of them. I highly recommend Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. Such a comforting type story. And, I really liked Sleep Pale Sister. Yes, it is perfect for this time of the year! Enjoy your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Anne. She is such a wonder character. One of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great finds. I have never heard of these books, but I will definitely check them out. Happy reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my! What a lot of treasures. Sleep Pale Sister looks positively creepy and you can't go wrong with Trigiani in my book...I LOVE her books. Hope you are having a lovely holiday--miss seeing you around the net. :)
    *smiles*
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for stopping by, it is always nice to hear what you have to say, so do leave a comment if you have time.