Tuesday 17 November 2009

The Day I Met Kate Mosse!

I warn you now, this post is definitely photo heavy, but I couldn't not share with you.
On Saturday my friend and I went Christmas shopping at a local museum. Now this is not an ordinary museum - this is an open air museum that houses lots of very old buildings dating back to the 18th Century and probably before. Every year, they hold a Christmas market selling lots of interesting goodies that you can buy as presents.
This year, they also had a special guest signing copies of her latest book. It was none other than Kate Mosse, of Labyrinth and Sepulchre fame! I was determined to go and as soon as we arrived my friend and I queued up to get her to sign her new book 'The Winter Ghosts,' which I showed you yesterday.
My friend and I were the only two people in the queue! I found this really hard to believe and I don't think it was publicised very well. Anyway, my friend and I are chatting away, when a lady comes up behind us and starts joining in with our conversation. We turned around to find Kate Mosse, chatting away to us.


I have to say Kate Mosse was absolutely lovely. She was happy to chat for ages with us. It turns out that she lives locally and that she also runs a writing course with her husband at one of the local colleges.
Excuse my cheesy grin, but I was really excited.

Here is my lovely book signed. What a fabulous day.
After the book signing, we went around the market to buy some presents.

I felt like I had stepped back in time to the Victorian era. All the staff were in period costume.

The weather was absolutely atrocious. We had gale force winds and heavy rain, yet we refused to go home.

It was so nice to watch the staff at work. They make lots of food in this old kitchen which they sell the next day. Whilst we were at the market, we indulged ourselves in hog roast, hot chestnuts and hot toddies.

Whilst walking around we were entertained by lots of musicians dressed in period costumes.


This is just to show you how bad the weather was. This is not a stream, this is just the heavy rain trying to find somewhere to go.
So even though the weather was awful, we didn't let it spoil our day. We had a fabulous time and getting to meet Kate Mosse was the icing on the cake.


17 comments:

  1. Looks like a fascinating musuem and I love the idea of the Christmas market. How disappointing (though lucky for you I suppose) that there were only 2 people in the queue. I can hardly believe it when I think of all those people waiting for hours to have books signed by the likes of Jordan aka Katie Price - shameful and so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is a great post! How fun and what a great memory! I loved seeing all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool. Thanks for sharing. I love picture-heavy posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous day, despite the weather! You and Kate Mosse look so cute together! I love the Christmas trees - they're the kind we love and can't find here anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome! I just got her book Labyrinth and need to read it. The open air museum sounds awesome! What a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you lucky so and so. She's one of my favourite authors, I would have been so tongue tied! I'm getting her new book for my Dads Christmas pressie and have given him a SERIOUS nudge that I want one in my stocking too :D Fabulous day, definitely one to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fellow bloggers - apologies for not replying often on my comments recently. As you know life has been difficult lately, so I will promise to try harder as I really value your comments.

    Petty Witter - It is a brilliant musuem, there is so much to see there. I really thought there would be more people to see Kate Mosse, especially as she has international sales.

    Sheila + Amanda - thankyou.

    Bermudaonion - we refused to let the weather get us down. There were loads of trees decorated for Christmas, it really was very festive.

    Amanda - I haven't read Labyrinth yet myself. It just looks so big.

    Carmen - I wish I had known how much you liked her, I would have got you a copy signed too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks absolutely amazing! And the food sounds really good too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a blast - the museum, hanging out with a friend, getting to chat it up with an author. I don't think I would have minded the weather either! :) Can't wait to hear your thoughts about her latest novel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look so cute in both of those pictures! And it sounds like you had a great day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a brilliant photo post!
    Please send some of that rain to CA!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that cheesy grin! You look fabulous with Kate Mosse. All the pics are wonderful, even though the weather is not good. I'm glad you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous post and I am sooooooooooo jealous that you got to meet Kate Mosse and get her latest book. I really want it! Great photos Viv!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw Viv you are lovely. I'm so glad you had a great time though. I've never heard of the museum, I'll have to add it to our list of places to see.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That museum sounds so wonderful! And please keep the picture heavy posts coming :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks like a good day! Sounds (and looks! )like you had a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh wow! very cool about meeting Kate Mosse!
    And the holiday shopping sounds like fun, even if the weather was yucky.
    Great photos!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for stopping by, it is always nice to hear what you have to say, so do leave a comment if you have time.