Tuesday 3 November 2009

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Pages - 434

Challenges - Reliquiae

Published by Scholastic in 2009.

I bought this book at the airport, as when I go on holiday, this is one of my treats - to buy brand new books to take with me. I bought four and only ended up reading one. How bad is that!

Out of the four I bought, I am so glad I chose this one to read first. I loved this book. I have been telling everyone that it is like Twilight, but with just wolves. It is definitely a page turner that you cannot put down.

Grace has always watched the wolves from her house , who live in the surrounding woods. Ever since they attacked her as a child and her yellow eyed wolf saved it. When she reaches her teens, she meets a yellow eyed boy and there is something really familiar about him. Grace falls for him straightaway. It has to be her wolf.

Sam is living two lives. Through the winter, he lives in the frozen woods with his pack, watching the girl who is not afraid of him. By summer, he has a few precious months to return to being a human. Though his time is running out, soon he will change into a wolf permanently.

The relationship between Sam and Grace is as intense as Edward and Belle's relationship in Twilight. It is intense from the beginning. You find yourself rooting for them, from the start. As with Twilight, there is danger from the beginning and their relationship is in danger from the moment they meet. I loved the way the story alternated between the views of Sam and Grace, so you got to see both sides of the story.

The best way to describe this book is as a lovely, sweet paranormal romance. A book that left me wanting more. The ending was just breathtaking. This is definitely a book I would read again. The second book Linger doesn't come out until next autumn. How will I manage until then.

Other reviews of this book

Fluttering Butterflies
Bookworming in the 21st Century
The Hiding Spot

22 comments:

  1. I have heard good things, but now, I don't know, it does not speak to me anymore. Strange, but would still like to read it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard good things about this book too. This definitely goes into my wish list until BBB is lifted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blodeuedd - but it is so good. You have to read it.

    Alice - I am thinking there are parts you might not like, which have similarities to the parts you didn't like in Wicked Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is already in my wish list. REALLY want it but have to buy stoopid Christmas presents first. *huff* Stoopid Christmas. But have been firmly nudging Craig in the direction of said wishlist ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you enjoyed this one on your trip Vivienne. I am going to be reading this book to discuss with Amy. I have read the first few chapters and I wonder if I will like it as much as you did. I haven't read the Twilight books so I don't have that comparison to make. It will be interesting to see how I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking to my review! I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. I can't wait to see what Linger holds for us readers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely cover, so eye-catching.

    Sounds like 'just my cup of tea' as I enjoyed the Twilight series but much preferred the wolves to the vampires, so much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carmen - Christmas is just so inconvenient. My book buying days are at a standstill until after Christmas. Hubby will be getting a very long wish list of books needed.

    Nicole - I do hope you like it.

    Kristen - no problem. I can't wait for Linger too.

    Petty Witter - You will love it. The UK cover is more black than white but I couldn't find a picture of it and I have already lent my book out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really haven't gotten into the paranormal books yet, but do need to give them a try. Glad to see you enjoyed this one so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recieved this today as a prize, glad to hear you liked it, realy really looking forward to reading it now

    ReplyDelete
  11. This type of book is not my normal genre of choice, but your review kind of has me hooked! I have no desire to read the Twilight series and I am not into the whole vampire thing--but wolves I could probably handle. The only other book I have read which contained wolves as main characters is The Wolves of Willoghby Chase. Thanks so much for this review!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's not bad! You *will* read the others later, after all :P I'm glad you enjoyed Shiver!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i really want to read this book. I've been eying it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Vivienne. This is definitely on my wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did an awesome job of reviewing this book! I don't like books about werewolves (or vampires - haven't read Twilight), and you made me interested in this story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not sure this one is for me...haven't even been able to make myself read Twilight, but ooooh, how I love the cover on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this sounds really good, I'll have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This has been on my wishlist for a while because I love all things werewolf. But it's the comparisons from lots of people with Twilight that's starting to put me off (I didn't like Twilight :S ).

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that cover and title! I'm not really in a ya mood right now, but this is still going on the 'sometime' list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the caution, Viv. I'll keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVED Shiver, I didnt really get a "twilight" feel when I read it. I thought Maggie's writing was just so beautiful and like you Im going to be hanging out for Linger. Did you know it's apparently a 3 book series??

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loved, loved, loved it. Another book that I shunned my train buddies for! Just as intense as Twilight but much sadder too, I think. Roll on Linger and thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for stopping by, it is always nice to hear what you have to say, so do leave a comment if you have time.