Thursday 10 December 2009

Santaland Diaries by David Sedaris


Pages - 138
Republished by Abacus in 2006
This is a really short review for a really short book today.
The book consists of a collection of hilarious short stories written by David Sedaris which deal with some actual accounts of his life, as well a smattering of fictional stories.
The stories are really entertaining and kept me giggling all the way through the book.
The first story is Santaland Diaries and it is an account of his position as an elf working in Macy's over the Christmas period. David retells different humorous events from his job there.

My favourite of all the stories is the second one,' Seasons Greetings to our Friends and Family.' This one is a letter sent out to all relatives at Christmas, telling them all the news. I had tears in my eyes reading this one, the antics of the family are just hilarious.

There was only one story which I didn't enjoy and that was the last one Christmas Means Giving, where two families compete to be the most talked about family in the town. I felt this one was a bit of a filler, to reach a page target. The story was rather daft and in no way believable, completely too far fetched for my taste. Yet the rest of the stories were well worth a read.
If you are looking for a quick easy read to get you into the festive spirit, then I would highly recommend this one. It really does looks at the funny side of life.


10 comments:

  1. Lol, this does sound like a good one :)
    I could do with some laughter now and then

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one interesting cover! I'm glad you enjoyed it overall although one didn't quite do it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a good laugh even if it is a few chuckles. I will definetly check this out at the bookstore this week.
    HO ho ho....Wisteria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Sedaris' audio books - no one can read his work like he does. I think this is called Holidays on Ice in the US. I listened to that last year and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed. I read this last year (Hoidays on Ice) but was not a fan. I didn't make it past the first story. I felt sorry for all the people he was making fun of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This sounds like the perfect light book for this time of the year.

    Thanks for your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really funny! When you talk about the family letter I had to laugh... we used to laugh at some of those that came to our home...LOL

    I love good humor - this looks like one that I wish I had on hand for the Holiday challenge... all of the ones I am reading are super sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I might not get a chance to try this now but I'll try to get it next year!

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for stopping by, it is always nice to hear what you have to say, so do leave a comment if you have time.