Tuesday 23 March 2010

The Book Of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern



Pages - 320

Published in 2009 by Harper Collins

Challenges - Every Month is a Holiday, Young Adult Reading Challenge and Take Another Chance Challenge.

They say a story loses something with each telling. If that is the case, this story has lost nothing, for it's the first time it's been told.

This story is one for which some people will have to suspend their disbelief. If this wasn't happening to me, I would be one of those people.

Cecelia Ahern is one of those authors that seems to change her writing style like the wind. This book was so different from The Gift, and as I understand completely different from her previous chick lit books. The Book of Tomorrow has not been marketed as a Young Adult book, but I would say without a doubt that that is what it is. It is also full to the brim with magical realism.

I picked this book up to read for a couple of reasons. Firstly I needed a book by an Irish author in order to fulfil this month's challenge for Every Month is a Holiday, as St Patrick's Day had been celebrated last week. Secondly I needed to read two books with the same word in the title for the Take a Chance Challenge. So I read this one as well as The Book Doctor which I will review tomorrow.

This book follows the life of Tamara Goodwin, who has recently lost her life of luxury. Her father commits suicide within the first page of the book and you witness Tamara and her mother have to sell off their life in order to pay off all their debts. Tamara and her mother are shipped off to live with her aunt and uncle, who are a very strange couple. Tamara hates life in the quiet little village and yearns the company of teenagers her own age. Her only happiness is the arrival of the good looking guy driving the travelling library. Whilst investigating the library Tamara comes across a large leather bound book locked with a gold clasp and padlock. When Tamara finally manages to open the book, what she discovers in there is unbelievable and shakes her world to the core.

If you are planning to read this then I would stop here and skip the next paragraph, as here comes the spoiler alert.

The book is one that I think if we had one, we would have a love/hate relationship with it. The book is a diary which tells Tamara what will happen the next day in her life. Tamara has to make a decision whether to let the day pan out as described or change the events before they happen. I cannot help but wonder what it would be like to have a glimpse into the future and know what would happen before it occurs.

I found this to be quite an enjoyable book and definitely a page turner once I got a little way into it. It is a bit of a slower burner, which improves with each chapter. I wasn't keen on the main character Tamara to begin with, as she was basically a spoilt brat and a bit of a tart, who really needed some guidance from her parents. I am not so sure she improved as the book went on, but she did manage to solve all the mysteries within the book.

I did find the ending a little annoying as there were definitely some loose ends that I imagine were missed in editing, as Aherne is not an author to write a series of books and the ending was definitely the end of the story. The things I felt that were left unanswered included where this magical book had come from in the beginning, it's existence was never questioned and the character never tried to work out where it had come from. Also within the book, there is a fire and a dead body, the real identity of this dead body is never mentioned, so you are left wondering who it might be. Lastly, the family who owned the castle seemed to disappear into the thin air, the children were still around, but one minute their parents are there and the next they are not. It's magic!! I think it might need just a little editing before the paperback version, in order to fix the loose ends.

Other than that, it was an enjoyable read, it also felt like an original storyline to me, as I haven't read anything like it before, but do let me know if you have read about any magical books like this one. It was quite a cosy read and one that had me completely absorbed. I just would like to see the loose ends tied up to make the story a bit more believable.

24 comments:

  1. I haven't read this, Viv, but I think I have it my TBR pile. I only just found out that Ahern is an Irish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they do that then? Edit them before they go to paperback? I never knew that.

    I really must read some of Cecelia Aherns books. That's two of hers you've got me wondering about now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice - Cecelia is the Irish Prime Minister's daughter and also sister in law to Nicky in the group Westlife. Some people are just born famous!

    Carmen - I did like this one,she is a lot different to what I was expecting, as I had just thought her books were chick lit ones, but they do have more to them that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carmen - sorry, didn't answer your question. I believe they do, only after reading some bloggers reviews where they have read both hard back and paper back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I want this now! Another one for my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I've read a few of Ahern's books, and this one definitely sounds different. Except that several of hers have that magical quality to them.

    Now I'm wanting to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read a page and put it aside...yeah *blush*

    ReplyDelete
  8. One page, B? LOL

    Vivienne: I think this sounds like a good book and because of your review I'm going to add this book to my wishlist :) Btw, I didn't know that Ahern is Irish either. I think I should have know really when you mentioned that she is the Prime Ministers daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andreea - I hope you enjoy it.

    Laurel-Rain Snow - thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realise that all her books had a whiff of magic in.

    Blodeuedd - one page really!!!

    Ladybug - I hope you enjoy it. I don't think it is a common known fact outside of England who Aherne is. BTW, tried to leave a message on your post, but it wouldn't let me again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the premise and wonder what I would do if I could know what would happen ahead of time like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the premise of this book! I don't know if I'd like to know what was coming the next day... I may try this one, though it's not in my usual YA fare. I prefer YA fantasy, I admit. But this is kind of fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This does sound like an engaging read. I've heard of this author before but I haven't read her work. Thanks for a great review, Vivienne.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoy Ahern's writing and have read a few of her books but I think I missed this one. It sure sounds good. I do have a book of hers on my shelf so I'd better make sure it's not this one before I get myself another copy. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love magic realism, and this has such a neat premise! Besides, pretty cover, and I'm a sucker for pretty covers :P It's too bad the ending was not entirely satisfying, bit it sounds like a worthwhile read regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks intriguing, and I haven't heard of it before. I skipped the spoiler section just in case I decide to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I skipped the spoiler section too - I love the cover on this one.... it reminds me of cotton candy and surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I must say the cover definitely grabs me. And the fact that there is an element of magical realism - I always really enjoy that in a book. Great review.

    Jennifer @ www.justicejennifer.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kathy - I would try and get my hands on the Euromillions lottery numbers!

    Aarti - it is kind of fantasy with a touch of realism.

    Nymeth - ooh the cover is gorgeous and it is in hardback without a dust jacket. The cover actually swayed me first. I am so shallow! Easily swept away by a pretty cover.

    Alyce and Sheila - I hope you enjoy it.

    Jennifer - I love magical realism.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think I've actually read anything by Ahern yet but, from what I've gathered, she's one of those authors you'd read when needing something light. :) I will give her a go one day and this sounds like a fun read. I liked your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahern is one of my favorite authors, but I know that many readers don't care for her. Her first two books seemed to be of the romance/chick lit genre. Then she wrote a couple with that magical realism which took me off guard at first, but which I have grown to love. Even The Gift had that element in it--I am looking forward to this one being released in the U.S.--hopefully soon!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is no fair if they are editing them in the middle. I hadn't realized that. But I am not a frequent re-reader so it's nothing I would have picked up on. Some bloggers don't miss a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OK. I'm hooked. I must get my hands on this book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. very pretty cover! it sounds interesting, but the loose ends would bother me.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't believe you read this one e are just seeing it's release here in the US now. Hope to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for stopping by, it is always nice to hear what you have to say, so do leave a comment if you have time.