Tuesday 14 September 2010

Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Shroeder


Pages - 412

Released by Simon Pulse in January 2010

One year ago today
I lost my boyfriend, Lucca.
He was
an artist
like me,
a dreamer
like me,
a nature lover
like me.

I don't tend to review books as soon as I have read them, as I usually like to dwell a little on them first. However, this book really got to me. It has a recent familiar theme that seems to be appearing more and more in young adult books recently; it deals with the death of a loved one. Unlike the other books, this one is very special, as it is written completely in verse, which to me, brings out the real emotions that lie within the story. The wording is sparse, but the meaning is very clear and heartwrenching.

At over 400 pages, I read this book with ease in one sitting and got completely lost within the story of Brooklyn and Nicco. The story is set out in diary format and begins a year after the death of Lucca, who was Brooklyn's boyfriend and Nicco's brother. The story alternates between the two view points as they move from seperate lives full of loss and hurt, to a united new beginning.

This book shows you that you can move on when someone dies; there is light at the end of the tunnel and life will go on. It doesn't mean that loved ones should be forgotten, as they will always be a strong part of your life, but you can learn to live and love again.

A beautiful, poignant read that would appeal to reluctant teenage readers as well as adults. I could feel the pain of loss that came across in the book quite strongly, regardless of it being teenage love and loss. Loss is universal and any book that can help you through the grieving process is worth a read.

Lisa Shroeder has two more books out written in a similar style and they will definitely be on my list of books to read.

13 comments:

  1. Great review!
    It sounds, like something I would have to read to say more about

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a great review, you obviously feel quite passionate about this book.

    As you say the death of a loved one seems to be a popular theme at the moment but to be written in verse - now that is something different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blodeuedd - go for it.You won't be disappointed. I am so not a big fan of poetry, but this was just brilliant.

    Petty Witter - I love a book that really plays on my emotions. It was just perfect. I was sad to send it off on it journey through International books this morning.

    Clover - you would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds fascinating and I love the cover, but i don't think i could read a whole novel in verse. That scares me just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda - I was very wary too, as poetry is really not my thing, but this book really flowed and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You finished it in one sitting! It must be terrific! Vivienne, I am beginning to read more poetry and verse myself. And what's even better is that I'm understanding it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just my kind of book. Reminded me somewhat of IF YOU COME SOFTLY and BEHIND YOU. Thanks for the review, Viv. I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Books like this are difficult for me to read right now since my dad's under hospice care. I'm glad to see this one's so good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have one of her other books (Far From You) on my shelf and I haven't given it a try yet. I've been a bit intimidated by the format, so it's nice to see that you enjoyed this book so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suko - that does make it easier, if you understand it. I think that has been the main reason why I have avoided it as I don't usually understand it.

    Alice - I haven't heard of those two books. I shall look them up.

    Kathy - I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I do feel your pain, as I still struggle over my nan which is nearly a year and a half ago now. My thoughts are with you.

    Alyce - If I hadn't of had to read it for the tour, I wouldn't have picked it up, but I am so glad I did read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good one. Wow, 400 pages in one sitting! It must be really interesting.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a beautiful story :)

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for stopping by, it is always nice to hear what you have to say, so do leave a comment if you have time.