Monday 18 October 2010

Monday Mail

You have to excuse the curtain less window behind, we are in the process of having our bedroom decorated and at the moment, curtains appear to be bathroom towels at night, as we can't find the curtain poles we want. Very attractive huh!

Had a bit of a book splurge this week, as hubby won the Euro Millions, well he won £90 on the Euro Millions and once I had bought the girl's some new swimming costumes, lunch and some Christmas stamps to make Christmas cards with, I had enough money left to get some cheap books.  The bottom three were three  books for a fiver, from a wonderful English shop we have called The Works.

1) The Vampire's Assistant by Darren Shan. This actually contains the first three books from the series about vampires and I have been wanting to read this for ever.

2) The Haunting of James Hastings by Christopher Ransom ( of The Birthing  House fame) another scary book for the Halloween season.

3) The Frost Fair by Edward Marston - this book is set in London in 1669 and shows London when the Thames used to freeze over and markets stalls would be set up on it. It is a murder mystery, where London architect Christopher Redmayne and his friend, Constable Jonathan Bale find a body in the Thames and they must prove that Redmayne's brother was not involved.

The other three books are the first three books in Charlaines Harris's series.  The books tell the story of Harper Connelly who had a lucky escape when she was hit by lightning and lived to tell the tale. But sometimes she wishes she had died, because the lightning strike left her with an unusual talent: she can find dead people.Just my cup of tea!

So they are my new books this week, what did you get?

23 comments:

  1. Spooky! They sound great. I will check them out on Amazon! Thanks for bringing them to our attention. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of fun reading waiting for you, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done hubby. Just imagine if you had won millions, the number of books you could buy.

    I have the three Charlaine Harris books on order. They are supposed to be a good read. I certainly hope so after the last True Blood novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. still working my way through all those sookie books..happy reading

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't think of a better way to spend your husband's winnings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo for the Euro Millions!

    I've been wanting to read Charlaine Harris but don't know where to start. Hope you enjoy these!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your husband's winning! I'm also excited to see that you've got the other Charlaine Harris's series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you got some good escapism books! Happy reading! My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you got some great spooky reads! Enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun that you got to use part of the money for book buying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Charlainne Harris books look good. I have yet to read her. I know... I know.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Works is so very tempting - I got a couple of Dorothy Sayers mysteries there as part of that 3 for £5 promotion. They had Laurie R. King too, but only ones I already own. I should avoid going in, really :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Frost Fair sounds very intriguing, and I hope you enjoy the Harper Connelly books as much as I did. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read the second Harper Connelly book last year and keep meaning to pick up the rest of them. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay books! I've read some of the Charlaine Harris books but none of this particular series. It does sound good thought. Hope you enjoy all of these especially in this spooky season :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have some terrific seasonal reads! You are all set for Halloween.

    The Haunting of James Hastings sounds like a good one, I'll be adding that to my TBR list.

    Here is my MM: http://www.psychoticstate.net/2010/10/mailbox-monday-october-18-2010.html

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great "mailbox", Vivienne! The Charlene Harris books sound quite riveting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Andreea - spooky = a happy girl.

    Mary - I hope so.

    Petty Witter - if he had won the Euromillions I would have bought my own Waterstones!

    Serena - you are better than me, I have only read one so far.

    Kathy - lol, neither can I.

    Trish - I am probably not the best person to ask as I have only read the first one of the Sookie Stackhouse books so far.

    Alice - thankyou. I hope so too.

    Beth and Alaine - thankyou.

    Alyce - I don't think hubby was impressed as I didn't buy him anything.

    Sheila - it's OK. We all have so little time to read all that we want to.

    Nymeth - I think you may regret moving to England. The Works is lethal and the charity shops are a nightmare. Where blinkers and avoid high streets. They have just rereleased all the Laurie King ones in Waterstones and the covers look awesome.

    Cathy - I am quite intrigued by Frost Fair too.

    Blodeuedd - thankyou.

    Avisannschild - were they any good?

    Illiana - it is an ideal series for this time of year.

    Lori - thankyou. I am the Halloween Queen.

    Suko - thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved book 2 and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series, so yes, I think they're good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really liked the Sookie Stackhouse series. Can't wait to hear what you think of this series.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoy…first-time visitor…like your blog title and the cupcakes.

    Looking forward to reviews from your Mailbox Monday books.

    Stopping by from shereadsandreads.

    Stop by to see my mailbox if you like:

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for stopping by, it is always nice to hear what you have to say, so do leave a comment if you have time.