Wednesday 27 April 2011

Die For Me by Amy Plum

Pages - 341

Published by Atom Books on May 5th 2011

Book kindly sent to me by the publisher after some severe book hustling.

Most sixteen-year-olds I know would dream of living in a foreign city. But moving from Brooklyn to Paris after my parents' death was anything but a dream come true. It was more like a nightmare.


If you hadn't realised already, this is the book I would have donated my kidneys for! I am serious! As soon as I saw the cover and read the blurb I knew I had to have this book!  Did the book meet my expectations, I hear you ask? Oh yes! Most definitely!

Kate and her sister Georgia had the perfect life, until an accident leaves them as orphans.  The girls pack up their lives and move from America to Paris to live with their grandparents and try to come to terms with their loss as well as trying to pick up the pieces of their shattered lives. Kate struggles to adapt to her new life until she meets Vincent, the dark, mysterious stranger, who sweeps her off her feet.

Kate is besotted by Vincent, until she discovers his secret. He isn't like any other normal human being. He is here for a purpose; a destiny he must fulfil which will put his life at risk every single day. Is Kate ready to invest all her love in someone, whom she could lose just as quickly as her parents.

From page one, I was lost and enthralled in this book, right up until the last scene. I could not put this book down!

Amy Plum is one of those authors who envelops all your senses,allowing you to easily slip into the book. Her use of descriptive language  instantly brings the book alive.  I became oblivious the world around me as I read, immersing myself in Parisian culture, I felt I could almost smell the aromas mentioned right off the pages.  The setting of the book is just astounding and had me flicking through weekend break brochures desperate for a long romantic weekend in Paris.

From the moment, Kate and Vincent entered the story, I loved their characters completely.  I loved watching their romance blossom as the book progressed. Kate takes on the role of a rather feisty lead female character and doesn't let too much scare her. Vincent is a gentleman at heart, but his desire for Kate is obvious from the beginning. I will admit to not liking Georgia at first, Kate's older sister in the book. I found her actions and behaviour to be childish to begin with, considering she was the older of the two; I wanted to give her a good shake and tell her to grow up and pay more attention to her sister. I also have to mention Jules, because I really took a shine to him.  He might even be my secret crush.

Even though this is YA, I felt it dealt with death in an adult way. The grieving stages that Kate goes through and the loneliness she deals with after the death of her parents, is extremely well written, allowing us to feel Kate's pain of loss as intensely as she did.

This really is a unique and original storyline, breathing new life into the paranormal YA genre.  Amy Plum's gorgeous group of revenants had me desperate for more. I now want a Tshirt with I Heart Revenants on it, as I think they have just become the coolest paranormal characters ever.  I can't wait for the second book. I know this book is aimed at the teen market, but I do feel that a lot of older females are going to crave this series in the same way they did Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series.

This is an utterly beautiful book that will definitely become a book that I will want to reread in the future.

20 comments:

  1. I skimmed your review because this is on my reading list this week but I'm excited to see that it more than lived up to your expectations ... woohoo! Can't wait to start on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so looking forward to reading this. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely cover and the fact you loved it, makes it perfect all the way around. Nice review Viv.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is gorgeous! I'll definitely pick this one up :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Young Adult books and the cover for this one is absolutely lovely. And it's set in France? Sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic review. This book sounds amazing, I must read asap x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, Vivienne :D I cannot wait to read it. "coolest paranormal characters ever" wow that's some good praise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teddyree - you are going to love it!

    Essjay - I thought you had read it for some reason.

    Diane - thank you.

    Animewookie - the cover drew me to the book first.

    CoffeeandaBookChick - the French setting is a refreshing change.

    Susan - you will love it. I am happy to lend, but there is a queue.

    Ladybug - I love Revenants!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this one sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like I need to read this to find out what makes Vincent different!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are the reason I have this on my wishlist :)
    Fantastic review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds fantastic and that cover is absolutely gorgeous, think this will have to go to the top of my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome review Viv, I love that you loved it. I too thought Georgia was a bit childish but I kinda thought that must just be her way of dealing...
    I will acquire that Tardis and get us the second book.... I actually NEED it so bad!! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mommablogsalot - so glad to see you back and blogging. You have been missed.

    Bermudaonion - I didn't want to give spoilers away.

    Naida - I hope that is a good thing!

    Louise - I hope you love it too.

    Raimy - Georgia just wound me up.Though definitely need the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh you wanted this book? I must have missed that ;)

    Lol, awesome review. I am glad it was as good as you hoped

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what a great review. Makes me want to read this now! I'll definitely be looking for this one when it comes out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one that I really want to read, I keep coming across, great review after great review :)

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you finally got your hands on a copy Viv! I have it on my reader. It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so glad that the book lived up to your expectations after the lengths you went to to get your hands on it :) I can't wait to read it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad you loved this book! I'm head over heels for the cover too! Check out my review HERE.

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for stopping by, it is always nice to hear what you have to say, so do leave a comment if you have time.